Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Update # 12 on Jewel

Today we continue to process the news from yesterday.

We began the day early, with Justin, Natasha and me sitting around Jewel’s hospital bed with two of the surgeons who conducted the surgery yesterday. We appreciated so much their compassionate and sensitive approach as they shared again the results of yesterday’s operation.

While we know little more than yesterday, the next steps seem a little clearer. They are now working with Jewel to recover from the surgery. Her post-surgical pain is presently under control. She does experience some nausea. However, the nurses have already had her up and out of bed for a short walk.

Until the reports from the pathology are available in about 10-14 days, the Cancer Clinic will not determine the full course of treatment. The doctors believe they got “everything”. However, only research will confirm that observation. As part of the treatment it will mean chemotherapy, which means among other things a loss of her hair. (Jewel later thanked me for all the silk scarves I have bought her because she will now be able to make good use of them!)

We continue this journey, one day at a time and sometimes one hour a time. We continue to be buoyed up be the prayers and offers of support by so many people.

· I am grateful for the WEA staff members who have stepped up to the plate to take on some of my responsibilities.

· I am grateful for our dear friend Joan who came and lived in our home to help in the days leading up to Jewel going into the hospital.

· I am so appreciative of our close family friend, Dr. Mitch, who drove for over an hour to the hospital last night after his busy medical practice just to be with us. Like a loving uncle he sat for a long time answering Natasha’s and Justin’s questions and just encouraging them.

· I am thankful for our church community who are coming alongside us to pray, provide meals and offering lots of practical help.

· I am indebted to my brothers in Christ, Mike, Dave, and Mitchell for being just a cell-phone call away from me.

· I am grateful to our family members both near and far for their expressions of love and concern.

· I can’t tell you how much I love my kids, Justin and Natasha for walking with me through these days.

· I continue to be amazed how my dear Jewel in spite of her pain and uncertainty continues to live out her faith and deep trust in the Lord.

Today I have been encouraged by Hebrews 13:20

“May God, who puts all things together, makes all things whole, Who made a lasting mark through the sacrifice of Jesus the sacrifice of blood that sealed the eternal covenant, Who led Jesus, our Great Shepherd, up and alive from the dead, Now put you together, provide you with everything you need to please him, Make us into what gives him most pleasure, by means of the sacrifice of Jesus, the Messiah. All glory to Jesus forever and always! Oh, yes, yes, yes."

We continue on the Journey,

Geoff

1 comment:

  1. Geoff, My husband Travis and I and our three little girls Suzannah (4), Charlotte (3) and Elizabeth (5 months) are neighbors of your father-in-law, Lloyd. He has been keeping us informed of Jewel's health and we want you to know that we are in prayer for your wife and family. God is good and has you all in the palm of his mighty and sovereign hand. God bless you and know that we are thinking of you. Looking forward to further updates.
    In Him,
    Kate Hasson

    ReplyDelete